Friday, October 9, 2015

Is Your Blessing Bigger than Mine?

"My blessing is bigger than yours".

That statement has no place in the Body of Christ. Here are my thoughts:

1. It stems from the place of ignorance: How do you know how big anyone's blessing is? How does any reasonable person quantify "blessings"?

 2. It stems from a place of pride: Even if it's true that your blessing is "bigger" than mine, is it in the Christian spirit to say that to me?

3. It engenders the wrong spirit and attitude: greed and competition. If you say yours is bigger than mine, I will also say mine is bigger than yours.

4. It comes from a place of foolishness: Nobody ever boasts about something they got for free. If it's a blessing, it's a gift. A gift says more about the Giver than the receiver. Whereof then do you boast?

5. It is antithetical to everything the concept of a "Body" represents: Will the eye say to the feet: " I have cool sunglasses, and you don't"?

Will one wrist say to another: "I have a watch and you don't, so, my blessing is bigger than yours"?

6. If indeed God has blessed you more than He has me, you are then required to do more than me. After all, to whom much is given, much is expected. Think about that.

Remember the story of the talents? May it not come back and bite you in the rear-end, when you have to give an account of what you did with all these blessings of which you've been boasting.

The right spirit is that exhibited by the Early Church in the Acts of the Apostles.

Let us encourage one another towards the true work of the Kingdom, and discontinue this fixation with Mammon.

Das all.

No comments:

Post a Comment