Saturday, March 1, 2014

Dead Wives are no Different From Disposable Plates

Just the other day, I was having a discussion with a friend of mine, David. We got talking about a mutual friend who had lost his wife a little over a year ago. I asked Mobi how our friend was doing and he told me that he was fine and was now in a new relationship. I made a comment about how easy it is for these men to move on, to which David replied, "He has tried o. After all, one year has passed."

Needless to say, the discussion went on with David trying to convince me that "it is not easy for brothers", and I of course maintained my position that the rate at which some men move on smacks of their wives being no better than paper plates. I know of a man who had printed cards for his new wedding three months after his wife was buried. There are those who are remarried in 6 months. There are those, like David, who think anything beyond one year is long suffering.

Of course, the dead is dead, and life must go on, but how easy will it be to bear, to realize that one year is all a wife is allotted, after all the years of sacrifice she might have given to the marriage?

It's not easy being female!


Well, David and I never did agree. What do you say?

1 comment:

  1. A man remarried three months after his wife was buried to her friend. This to me was unheard of and I condemned the man. But my friend's husband said in his defense that he needs someone to be cooking for him. And I wondered could it have been the same reaction if his wife had gone to remarry at the same space of time after the husband's death and to his friend? I call that selfishness.

    ReplyDelete